Cyprus Main Image

EOKA Members List : G

EOKA wanted cover


GABRIELIDES, Andrea. (A prosperous businessman in Limassol, he helped fund EOKA and with Gabriel (see below founded the Social Progress Society as a counter to the left-wing AKEL.)

GABRIELIDES, Gabriel (He was prominent Greek businessman in the capital, who specialized in electrical contracting. Outwardly he gave the impression of opposing Eoka. In this guise, he became a leading member of the Nicosia Club, a bastion of 'Britishness', where senior military and police officers relaxed. To them he was known 'Gabby'. When the club bar closed at midnight, they often accepted Gabriellides' invitation to continue drinking at the well-stocked bar in the basement of his house. The British never knew there was an Eoka hide behind the bar. He also was the co-founder of the ultra-nationalist Social Progress Society.

The first EOKA terrorists to stay in the house were Yannakis STEFANIDES, 20, and student leader Andreas NICOLAIDES. Gabrielides knew that with his reputation, it was highly unlikely the Security Forces would raid his residence. He was correct and was never found out. The house became EOKA's Nicosia HQ. It was here GRIVAS said his farewell to his friends before his departure for Greece in March 1959.)

GALATARIOTIS, Stavros (An Eoka activist, MAKARIOS rewarded him with the chairmanship of Cyprus Airways. When the airline bought Airbus aircraft, his wealth increased dramatically.)

GALATOPOULOS, Christodoulos (A former Communist, he became a socialist, but was opposed to AKEL. As a lawyer in Paphos, he threw his lot into Eoka. He later became mayor of the town.)

GALATOPOULOS, Phaedros (He was Christodoulos's son)

GALLOS Constantinos
GALLOS, Constantinos, aka 'Dinos' (Born 1939 in Nicosia, he was part of the hit-and-run group operating in Orinis, in the suburbs of the capital.)

GAVRIELIDES, Andreas (One of the instigators of the 1931 anti-British riots, during which the Governor's Mansion was destroyed by fire, he joined Eoka to pursue his hatred of the colonial authorities.)

GAVRIEL, Arghiris. (He was born 1929 and worked as a miner in Limni, until he became an Eoka arms carrier.)

GAVRIEL, Evanthia. (A housewife, she provided Eoka with food and hiding places.)

GAVRIEL Georghios
GAVRIEL, Georghios. (Born 1937 in Steni.)

GEORGEHALLAS, Andreas (Born 1925 in Marathovouno in the Famagusta district, little is known about his activities.)

GEORGHALLAS, Michael (Born 1928 in Marathovouno, near Famagusta, he gave his occupation as 'clerk to the chamber of commerce'. After leaving the Nicosia execution squad, he became a member of AFXENTIOU's group. When this group stopped to take a night's rest in the Zoopiyi home of Minas CONSTANTINOU, their hiding place was found by British troops at almost midnight on 31.12.56. In an exchange of fire, AFXENTIOU got away, but Constantinou was killed. As a clock in the house chimed in the New Year, his last words - according to Eoka propaganda - were: 'Leader, I am dying. Long live Greece!')


GEORGHADJIS, Polycarpos. Code name: Klimis and Cicero. (When GRIVAS recruited Georghadjis in early 1955, he was a young clerk in the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce. The clerk proved to be a natural organizer of intelligence networks. By the start of the conflict, he had half a dozen police officers supplying Eoka with information on police arms stores, weapon strength, plans, and projects. These 'Eoka police officers' at first handed their information to student runners, but after one of them was almost caught while carrying a written report to him, Georghadjis arranged for them to pass news on verbally through older and more reliable contacts. Occasionally he himself met the police officers, in cafes and restaurants. By the end of June 1955, he had increased the number of police officers helping the organization to 20, from all branches of the force.

Georghadjis was nicknamed 'Houdini' for his three escapes from capture by the security forces. His first took place at Omodhos in January 1957. Captured and imprisoned again, this 26-year-old hardcore terrorist feigned illness and, under guard, was sent for treatment at Nicosia General Hospital. With him was Nicos IOANNOU. Considered highly important to the GRIVAS organization, Georghadjis's Eoka comrades rescued this hardcore EOKA detainee on 31.08.56. During the hospital firefight, Sgt L A DEMMON of the UK Police Unit was killed. The police officer received a posthumous Queen's Police Gallantry Medal.

Caught again and sentenced this time to life imprisonment for possession of firearms, he broke out from Nicosia Prison on 02.05.58. A price of £5,000 was placed on his head.

By November 1958, his authority - and reputation - within Eoka ranks gave him the right to 'execute' any fellow member of the organization that he deemed a 'traitor'. He exercised this power with relish. Yannakis STEFANIDES, the young man who had become deputy leader of the Nicosia gang in February 1957, was among those whom he murdered.

After the London Agreement, MAKARIOS made him a member of the 'Transition Committee' to handle Labor affairs. In the post-independence government, MAKARIOS immediately appointed Georghadjis to the cabinet, although the EOKA killer had no formal higher education. Later, as Minister of the Interior, he led militia attacks against Turkish Cypriots. With SAMPSON and others, in December 1963 he implemented the Akritas Plan, which he had authored with others. Its purpose was to rid Cyprus of the island's Turkish population.

By 1970, he had fallen out with MAKARIOS and, with the help of Army Colonel PAPASTOLOU from Greece, sabotaged the Archbishop's helicopter as part of a planned coup (Operation Hermes), backed by the National Guard.

While MAKARIOS survived, the net began to tighten around his former minister. Soon afterwards, Georghadjis was called to a secret meeting outside Mia Milia village with his co-conspirators. Just as he arrived, his car was machine-gunned and he was seriously injured. One of the ambushers then walked up to him and delivered a coup de grace.

His murderers were never arrested, but the evidence pointed at PAPASTOLOU and POULITSAS, another Greek officer. Both returned to Athens without facing any charges.

Georghadjis was born at Palekhori in 1931.

Georgadjis murdered

Greek Colonel PAPASTOLOU, some say, murdered GEORGADJIS. Others claim Makarios ordered him dead.

GEORGHIADES, Achileas (Born 1939 in Petrou, he was a student who joined an Eoka hit-and-run group that operated primarily in the Karpaz. He was captured and interned.)


GEORGHIADIES, Antonis (He was the Milikouri gang leader, who knew the Troodos Mountains extremely well. Although his sister continued to live in Milikouri in 2007, the villagers disliked her brother and did not honor him as an Eoka hero.

(During Operation Lucky Alphonse, he guided GRIVAS on a long night march to evade capture by British troops. He survived the conflict and Makarios appointed him to the pre-independence 'Transition Committee' to be in charge of Communications and Works. Later MAKARIOS appointed him Minister of Trade in his first administration, but Georghiadies quit as soon as he was ordered privately by GRIVAS to do so. In 2007, he was reported to be operating a photographic business in Nicosia.


GRIVAS, the Eoka leader sorts out his memoirs, pages of which are being typed by Georghiades in their 'safe' house in Limassol. This photograph is believed to have been taken in early 1959.

Grivas & Georgiades

Following the London Agreement on the future of Cyprus, Eoka terrorists were allowed to come out of hiding and return home. GRIVAS and Georghiadies immediately posed for publicity photographs, each man trying to show off his alleged military skills and preparedness for battle.


When these pictures came into possession of the Security Forces, the two former terrorists were named the dancing Marx Brothers.

Georghiadies was authorized to pay every one of these men £100 in cash. The payments began on 17.03.59 at the Nicosia house of wealthy businessman Gabriel GAVRIELIDES, where a party was hosted for Colonel GRIVAS.)


GEORGHIADES, Panyiotis Code name: Icarus (Born 1929 - Lavidia/Sazlikoy, Troodos, he is considered by EOKA as one of its greatest heroes, alongside Costas ANAXAGORA, Alecos CONSTANTINOU, Panayiotis GEORGIADES and Andreas PATSALIDES, who all died on 20.06.58 in a house in Kourdali village, when a bomb they were making exploded. What caused the explosion remains a mystery, although a Black Ops officer claims his men had intercepted the terrorists' material and changed the timings of some fuzes. Georgiades joined EOKA in 1955 and was responsible of collecting and distributing weapons in Nicosia until joining Stylianos LENAS in the Troodos Mountains. Following LENAS's arrest, he escaped to Limassol with Evagoras PAPACHRISTOFOROU before returning to Livadia.)

GEORGHIADOU, Lella, Miss. (She often volunteered for gunrunning operations, accompanying a male Eoka member in an ordinary car in which arms were hidden.
In his Memoirs, Grivas details a mission: 'One afternoon in 1958, George ECONOMIDES left Nicosia with three pistols and ammunition for Kyriakos MATSIS in the Kyrenia Mountains... He also took with him as a distraction for the troops a girl member of EOKA, Miss Lella Georghiadou...' They ran into a roadblock, but the troops saw both were smoking English cigarettes - which were forbidden to Greek Cypriots by the EOKA boycott and ECONOMIDES said he was simply taking his girlfriend out for a drive and wanted to return her home before dark and so they would appreciate a speedy search of their car. Lella winked and the soldiers waved them on without checking! Apparently, this trick worked quite often.)

GIALLOUROS, Patrakis (Born in Rizokarpaso 29 August 1938 - Died 7 February 1956 in Ammochostos during a staged protest (flagbearer) with his schoolmates. He was shot several times.)

GIORGHIOU, Andreas (16-year-old Eoka youth leader in Limassol, shot dead in riots on 27.09.55 by a member of 40 Commando, Royal Marines)

GIORGHIOU, Ianninias (He was born in Petra in 1947 and joined ANE to become an Eoka courier.)

GEORGHIOU, Georgios. (A citizen of mainland Greece, he was killed 02.08.58)

GEORGHIOU, Meneloas. (Born 1934 in Pano Panayia. He ran an Eoka youth unit. The authorities interned him.)

GEORGHIOU, Michael (During the first year of the Eoka conflict, he was closely associated with the AFXENTIOU team and moved them in his truck around Trikomo/Iskele, their area of activity, after throwing a grenade at a patrol on the Ktima-Coral Bay road, he was shot dead by Royal Marines on 12.03.56.)

GEORGHIOU, Neophitolemus
GEORGHIOU, Neophtolemos (Born 1926, he operated in the Famagusta/G.Maguza area)

* GEORGHIOU, Nikos.(In his late 30s, he came from Palekhori, often visited Kythrea/Degirmenlik. He had some gold teeth. According to EOKA, he died in 1957 after being tortured by the security services.)

GEORGHIOU, Panaylotis (He was killed during Operation Black Mak in the Adelphi Forest, near Paphos, in January 1957.)

GEORGHIOU, Pavlos. (Aged about 38, he came from Kaimakli. He had a sallow complexion, a thin face and stood about 5ft 5in.)

GEORGIOU, Andreas Sikimikos
GEORGIOU, Andreas Sikimikos (Born 1937 in Anarita, Paphos District, he blew himself up on 30 October 1956 when attempting to throw a hand grenade at British Forces.)

GEORGIOU, Sidilias (A mainland Greek school teacher, 24, who worked in Pelekhori area, he was found guilty of possession of detonators for explosives, with the intent to supply Eoka. He was sentenced to 18 months' imprisonment followed by deportation.)

GEORGHIADES, Alexios, (The Abbot of the Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery in the Troodos Mountains, security forces believed he was the Eoka chief of the Paphos area and took him into custody in December 1956)

GEORGIADES, Antonis (He escaped from imprisonment in Kyrenia castle on 23 September 1955 and established a five-man gang in Milikouri. He operated in Milikouri, his home village, and became GRIVAS's PA in early 1956. By 1957, he was one of 13 'most wanted' by the security forces' Born in 1931, he studied theology at university in Athens, where he first contacted Grivas. He was reported to have helped Grivas to escape from Kykko, an Eoka stronghold in the southern range of the Troodos Mountains, when it was surrounded by British troops.)

GEORGIADES, Panayiotis
GEORGIADES, Panayiotis. Code-name Icarus. (From Livadia village, he died, aged 29, one of four EOKA terrorists killed in an explosion that destroyed a house in Kourdali on 20 June 1958. The terrorists had been storing explosives. Earlier in the conflict, he and his brothers had provided a 'safe house' for EOKA men on the run. In 1956, he joined the Stylianos LENAS gang in the Troodos. Following Lenas's arrest and the death of DEMETRAKIS CHRISTODOULOU on 17 February 1957, he narrowly escaped arrest with Evagoras PAPACHRISTOFOROU. Until he was called to Kourdali, he hid in his home village.)

GEORGHIOS, Anastasiou. (Little is known about his background, other than he belonged to a hit-and-run group in Paphos.)

GEORGHIOS, Ioannides (Born 1924 in Paphos, he was a lawyer who organized students in support of Eoka and acquired arms from Athens. He belonged to PEKA.)

GEORGHIOS, Nicolaou. (Born in 1918 in Palekhori, where he became a mechanic. He provided arms and hideouts for Eoka. He died 12.01.57, allegedly from torture used by the security forces. An inquest on his death was held 29.06.57 in Limassol. Dr Clearkin, the Government pathologist, discovered nothing to substantiate the allegations.)

GEORGHIS, Michael (Born 1930 in Kalogrea, Kyrenia/Girne district, he operated in Komodromos and Stitos.)

GEORGHIOU, Evdora (Part of the Eoka gang in the Amiandos area, he was an electrician by trade. He was interned and survived the conflict. He died 16.08.05, aged 72.)

GEORGIOU, Pavlos (After receiving information from a 'turned' Eoka member, he was found hiding in a house in Styllos by members of 1 Royal Leicesters on 18.12.57. He was shot dead after he tried to evade capture. A cache of dangerous explosives was also discovered at the site. 2Lts T HINEY and P GRAHAM were later praised, as well as Sgt BROWN and Pte WARNOCK)

GEORGIOU, Theodoros (Born 1936 in Psymolophou, Nicosia, he was an Eoka district leader whose brother, Pavlos, was captured in StyllosMutluyaka.)

Giagkou, Nikolaos
Giagkou, Nikolaos (No details available at present).

GIORTZIZ, Panicos Costas (He was the brother of the notorious Polycarpos GEORGHADJIS. Giortziz helped organize the suitcase smugglers from Athens.)

GIRCOTIS, George. (He was an active member of an Eoka youth group in Larnaca and became a section leader.)

GIZAS, Andreas. (As a result of Operation April Fool by the Royal Leicester Regiment on Avgorou, captured EOKA members revealed where Andreas Gizas, a killer group leader of Varosha, could be found. He was later captured in his home in Varosha, the Greek Cypriot suburb of Famagusta. As a result of his interrogation, more terrorists were rounded up.)

Giorgallas, Michael
Giorgallas, Michael (No details available at present).

GREGORIOU, Kyriacos (He came from Psimolofou village and was caught with Chris. KLEANTHOUS. Both held a stash of weapons and ammunition. The authorities interned him after he was arrested in connection with a bomb-throwing incident about which he made a voluntary statement. Later, his lawyer, Renos LYSSIOTIS, presumably in an effort to discredit the Police, asserted his client had been maltreated and that the statement had thus been extorted. An Inquiry revealed there was only half an hour between the time of arrest and the time of making his statement, and that during that time he had been escorted to the Police Station in an open Land Rover, and had there been in the joint-custody of an English, a Greek Cypriot and a Turkish Police officer.

A Greek Cypriot doctor examines an Eoka prisoner. The prisoner alleges ill treatment by the security forces. When the plaster is removed, the doctor finds no injuries.
Later it was established that Gregoriou's lawyer, Renos LYSSIOTIS, was an active member of Eoka and was detained.


GRIVAS, George. Code-name Dighenis, he was Eoka's founder and military leader. He launched his war against the British a few minutes into April Fool's Day 1955, when he declared: 'God is with us.' Sometimes he was known as Isaac, the code-name given him by Nicosia's Greek Consul VLACHOS. Many of his followers called him Apiastos - 'the one who cannot be taken'.

(29) GRIVAS-Forged ID copy
When Grivas first arrived illegally in Cyprus, he travelled on forged papers. His ID card is shown above.

His other nicknames included therios (uncle) and o gheros (old man). He was born in Nicosia hospital on either 06.06.1897 or 23.05.1898. His home village was Trikomo/Iskele and he belonged to a wealthy middle-class family with strict Greek Orthodox beliefs, which affected all his decisions in later life. After leaving school, he joined the Greek mainland army and became an officer. In the mid-20s, when Greece tried to occupy parts of Turkey, Grivas experienced defeat at the hands of the Turks. From then on, he was determined Turks would never get the better of him again.

When Hitler's armies occupied Greece in World War II, Grivas established the X gangs. Their purpose was to eliminate any left-wing underground movements that were working against the Nazis, from whom he acquired arms and munitions. C.M. Woodhouse was the senior British officer in Greece in 1944 and came to know Grivas well. He considered him a 'reactionary thug' with 'the sinister significance of a Ku-Klux-Klansman'. Woodhouse also found Grivas's high-pitched voice unpleasant.

Despite his ruthless outlook, Grivas was fanatically religious and obsessed by discipline, which included writing a daily diary. When some of his diaries were discovered by the security forces in Cyprus, they gave away many of his and Eoka's biggest secrets.

Grivas did not smoke or drink and suffered from haemorrhoids and bad teeth. Yet, there is no denying his strength and stamina.


While in hiding Grivas had many female visitors. This photograph was taken at Kykko Monastery where he celebrated Easter 1956 in the company of Louella KOKKINOS (left) and Mrs Arrieta ROUFOS, the wife of Rodis ROUFOS, the Greek Consul in Nicosia who abused his status by smuggling weapons in his diplomatic bag for delivery to Eoka.

Because he was bald and barely stood 5 ft 3 inches, he insisted on approving all photographs of him. Only those taken from a low angle to make him appear tall were allowed for publication. The pictures also needed to show him wearing a beret and a combat uniform, every inch an underground fighter.

In reality, Grivas could easily pass as a typical Cypriot peasant. Sir Hugh Foot, the last Governor of Cyprus, described him as 'the little man who looks like a cross between Groucho Marx and Adolph Hitler'.

During the first year of his terrorist campaign, Grivas operated from hideouts in the Troodos Mountains from which he ordered his gangs to ambush British patrols and from which he kept tight control of the Eoka organization, using a complex courier network.

In mid-June 1956, however, British forces began closing on his hideouts during Operation Lucky Alphonse. Many Eoka gang members were caught and several became informers. Grivas was forced to flee and was nearly caught by British Paras in Mylikouri, where he left behind some personal possessions and pages of his diary, which proved conclusively that MAKARIOS was more than Eoka's spiritual head.

Diary in jar at Lyssi Page of Griva Diary

Grivas was a compulsive diarist, writing down everything that had taken place each day. Even after his first diaries were captured in the Troodos, he continued to record his life in detail and, once again, pages from these memoirs were found in Lysi, hidden in jars.

Grivas' Limassol hideout

Grivas moved from his first 'safe house' to another nearby in Limassol. He hid there until the end of the conflict, although the premises were searched several times by the Security Forces. Some accounts of the Eoka period claim the British intelligence knew where to find him, but preferred not to arrest or kill him for fear of escalating the war.

After British forces began successfully destroying his military organization in early 1957, the colonial government reduced the reward placed on his head from £10,000 to £1,000. Governor HARDING's decision was taken as a great affront by the vain Eoka commander. Another example of his vanity took place on the eve of his departure from Cyprus in March 1959.

With agreement reached on the Island's future, the British Prime Minister Harold MACMILLAN allowed him safe passage to return to Greece on Tuesday 17.03.59.

Grivas was unaware that by mid-February 1959 (possibly earlier), British Intelligence had found his hideout and it was under surveillance 24 hours a day. 'This was indeed a triumph,' said General HARDING. 'It partially compensated all members of the Security Forces for their toil, trouble and casualties over three-and-a-half years.' Although eager and capable to send a 'snatch squad', Sir John PRENDAGAST, who had organized the operation, was refused permission by the British Government to either capture or kill him.

The Government feared the 'peace talks' about to take place in London would break down and Grivas would became a martyr to the Eoka cause. MI6 was ordered to keep watch and 'let him stew in his own juice'. Despite Grivas's extreme right-wing leanings, on the day he came out of hiding Fidel CASTRO sent him a congratulatory telegram for his rebel activities.

Grivas at Loukia Gavrielides

A group of his supporters was assembled to meet him in the Ayio Omoloyitadhes house of a rich Nicosia businessman, Loukia GAVRIELIDES. When all were gathered he made his grand entrance by walking slowly down a marble staircase, dressed in a new olive-green knitted jersey, riding breeches, bandolier and beret - all made in the past few days by his female devotees - with a pistol strapped to his hip. Grivas had only dressed in this style of uniform for photo-shoots during the past four years.

On 05.03.59, according to a US State Department document, Greek Minister of Foreign Affairs Evangelos Averoff-Tossizza told US diplomats he had suggested to Prime Minister Macmillan that the wisest thing the British could do when Grivas left Cyprus was to send him out with a Guard of Honor at the airport. He said Macmillan was at first taken aback, but when he - Averoff - explained that this single gesture would do a great deal to warm the hearts of the Greek Cypriots and the people of Greece, and restore goodwill toward the British, he saw the point! However, Macmillan said it was impossible to take such a dramatic step because of British public opinion, Averoff claimed, adding 'the British gave indications that they would do something to indicate the respect in which they hold Grivas'. The 'something' done is described below...

Grivas at Loukia Gavrielides

The scene at Nicosia Airport as Grivas was escorted to one of two Dakota DC-3s of the Royal Hellenic Air Force sent to return him to Athens. To accompany him there, there was General Nicholas PAPARODU of the Greek Army. The tall British officer at the rear of the photograph was Lt. Colonel 'Bill' GORE-LANGTON of the Coldstream Guards. General Darling assigned him the task of escorting Grivas to the waiting aircraft because he was six feet three inches tall and could look down on the EOKA leader who was a foot shorter. In addition, Gore-Langton could not pay Grivas the usual military courtesy of a salute, because he had lost his right arm during the Battle of Salerno in World War II. His nickname was 'the one-armed bandit'; British troops had lined the route taken by Grivas to the airport, but with their backs turned to his limousine.

Two RAF Javelin jet fighters took off from Nicosia Airport 10 minutes before Grivas on the same route the Dakotas would take. The rumor in British circles was that the Javelins were in the air to make sure Grivas was on his way. For his part, Grivas, till his death, was convinced the RAF had provided a formal escort to mark his achievements... Grivas was airborne at precisely 10.00. He had been in Cyprus plotting Enosis for 1,590 days.

Grivas in Athens 1959

Thousands turned out to greet him on his arrival in Athens. For their benefit, he paraded himself in the garb they expected him to be wearing - with a set of cased binoculars strapped to his waist. Nobody seemed to remember he had left his own set behind, with other personal possessions, when he fled from British Paras in the Troodos Mountains, during Operation Lucky Alphonse in mid-June 1956.

The London Daily Express jeered that he looked as if he were wearing 'the incongruous clothing of some old-fashioned music hall turn'. In sharp contrast, Archbishop Theoklitos, the Greek Orthodox Primate of Greece, handed Grivas a silvered laurel wreath and declared: 'Your name is a Doric column in the pantheon of the great heroes of our glorious nation.'

Within minutes, the little colonel, soon to be made a general, went to see his dentist to have three teeth pulled.

Throughout Grivas's Eoka campaign, his blonde wife, Kikki or Vessilika lived in Athens.

Major-General Kendrew, the GOC, considered Grivas 'a madman, very religious and certainly unscrupulous.'

He continued: 'Grivas was pathologically opposed to Com-munism and the Left and, because of that, we had these considerable beatings up of the Trade Union personnel, especially in the Famagusta area. We all thought that he was a very sick man, during the latter part of 1958 and believe he did not have complete control of the organisa-tion. He certainly did not influence it very much in the way of pamphlets or intercepted directives. Using our agents and an Eoka dead letter box on the Nicosia-Limassol road, it took 24 hours for the messages to be collected and another 24 hours for his reply.
We calculated that, therefore, he was hiding in the Limassol area.'

After the conflict, a former Eoka terrorist told a Greek-speaking journalist that Grivas had hidden for two months in a British house in Nicosia. He refused to name the owner, but hinted that he held a senior position on an English language newspaper in the Island. While there is no hard evidence to suggest this individual was Charles FOLEY, the editor of the The Times of Cyprus, his critics remember his paper was known as the 'Eoka Times' and point out he was the only non-Greek Cypriot to have been invited to GRIVAS's farewell party from Cyprus in March 1959. For the record, Foley translated and edited the English version of Grivas's Memoirs.

Post-independence, Grivas returned to Cyprus uninvited in 1964, but MAKARIOS gave him command of the 10,000-man Greek Cypriot forces in Cyprus, who were led by Greek mainland officers.

Grivas in Mountain hide

When Grivas returned to Cyprus in 1964 as the commander of the National Guard, he showed supporters his early hiding places in the Spilia region, from which Eoka mounted several successful attacks on British Army convoys, but it was not until January 1956 that the authorities mounted effective counter-measures and sent Grivas running to Kykko. As the word 'Spilia' means 'caves' in Greek, some observers believe British Intelligence missed a trick by not searching for the terrorists in them. Spilia today is a 'freedom fighters' showcase for Greek Cypriots.

In 1967, after leading several attacks against the Turkish Cypriot community, Turkey insisted he and his militia leave the island or face the consequences of an invasion. MAKARIOS, with whom Grivas had fallen out, agreed to his exile in Greece and the little general was recalled by Athens. For the next three years, he plotted his return and planned to oust the Archbishop.

Grivas in Athens, 1970

GRIVAS in his Athens apartment in 1970, with the valued highly vauled bust of himself.

Eventually on 31.08.71, he returned secretly to Cyprus to lead Eoka-B in an effort to overthrow the Greek Cypriot President. During both his periods in hiding - when he was evading British troops in the fifties and when he was leading Eoka-B and MAKARIOS forces were after him in the seventies - Grivas had affairs with the women in whose home he was living. His first mistress was Mrs Eli CHRISTODOULIDES. The relationship was conducted with the knowledge of her husband, who viewed the relationship as an honor.

GRIVAS & Elli Christodouli
GRIVAS & Diana Mavrou

His second mistress was Diana MAVROS, also of Limassol. Her mother boasted to friends of their close 'friendship'.

While still in hiding, Grivas died, aged 75, of natural causes in January 1974. At the exact moment of his death, like Elvis Presley, he was sitting on a lavatory pan in Mrs CHRISTODOULIDES' home, where she was in the kitchen, preparing a dish of boiled beef and carrots for his dinner.

The General's reputation before his death had sunk so low that the Greek Cypriot House of Representatives was threatening to brand him 'a common criminal' unless his guerrilla activities ceased.

The deposed Bishop of Paphos - YENNADIOS, conducted his funeral. Among the mourners was General George DENISIS of the Greek Army who commanded the National Guard in Cyprus. MAKARIOS was not represented.

Grivas final home 1974.jpg

Now a shrine to his memory, Grivas hid until his death in this Limassol house.

Sampson mourns Grivas

Nicos SAMPSON, who attended the Eoka-B leader's funeral, 'bawled like a baby,' one observer noted. He saw himself as the natural successor to the Eoka-B leadership. Instead, following the coup that temporarily ousted MAKARIOS from the presidency, SAMPSON became president for a few days. Until that happened the leadership of Eoka-B fell to Greek Army Major Assoils KARAKAS, a relative unknown to the Cypriot people.

Grivas Grave

Grivas's grave in Limassol.

Just six months later a coup organized by the Colonels in Greece ousted MAKARIOS from the presidency and put SAMPSON in his place, provoking Turkey to invade/intervene in Cyprus on 20.07.74, which led to the partition of the island into Greek and Turkish zones. This sealed Grivas's failure to achieve enosis.

An historian says Greeks today have 'fables about Grivas, the guerrilla, that will outshine even the heroic legends of ancient Hellas'.

Limassol Muncipal Council rejected a request in December 2008 to build a museum dedicated to the EOKA leader, despite meeting all the town's building requirements. 'We cannot give our signature for a project that in any way glorifies Georgios Grivas Digenis as that would be inconsistent and incompatible with our values and morals,' commented Tasos Tsaparellas, the Council spokesman for the majority AKEL party.'The site cannot be disassociated from the entire work and role of Grivas in the ensuing period of illegality and terrrorism.'

Back to Most Wanted

Back to Cyprus Index

Bookmark and Share

IndexE-mailSite SearchBooksForumCreditsChat RoomVeterans AffairsdonationsGuest BookMedalsSitrepNewsLinksSign InNAAFIAnecdotes DeploymentsMuseumMemorialJoinHome

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!